Skin sensitivity is one of the main concerns in wound care. Between 60-70% of women and 50-60% of men in the world claim to have sensitive skin. But, how does it affect you when it comes to wound care?
Tingling, itching, stinging, a burning sensation, and temporary or permanent redness are some of the signs and symptoms of sensitive skin responding to certain components which make up dressings with latex being the most common culprit.
In addition, your skin may be sensitized due to external factors such as thinning of the skin due to aging or the side effects of drugs, prolonged exposure to moisture, radiation, stress and hormonal changes.
Wound care technology has come a long way in recent years offering several wound care options for patients and healthcare professionals when it comes to treating those with sensitive skin. However, silicone bordered dressings tend to be the favourite when treating wounds when sensitive skin is involved.
Why Use Silicone Border Dressings?
- Silicone adhesive is gentle to both wound bed and skin for safe, easy removal.
- Low incidence of allergic reaction.
- Low profile border for added adhesion and flexibility.
- Border is showerproof and prevents exudate leakage.
- Provides thermal insulation and protection.
- Can be safely worn for several days, depending on wound condition and exudate levels.
TOP 5 Silicone Border Dressings For Sensitive Skin
- ALLEVYN Gentle Border triple-action technology maintains the optimal balance in fluid for moist wound healing.
- Conformable gentle dressing – providing comfort for the patient.
- Minimises trauma and pain during dressing change.
- Easy to apply and remove – the dressing can be re positioned easily without losing adherent properties.
- Showerproof dressing allowing patients to shower with the dressing in place.
- Available in a range of shapes and sizes.
- Unique 3D foam conforms to the wound bed ensuring optimal control of exudate thus minimising the risk of maceration and leakage.
- Secure fit to keep the dressing in place to ensure minimal pain upon removal.
- 3 piece non touch opening to allow aseptic and easy application to reduce waste of dressings.
- Close flexible fit makes it comfortable to wear even under compression.
- The semi-permeable top film is both bacteria and shower proof.
- Contains a exudate lock away layer which locks the fluid in the structure still leaving the wound moist for optimal wound healing conditions.
- Vertical wick which minimises lateral spread of fluid, reducing risk of maceration.
- Easy to apply and remove.
- Has a waterproof, viral and bacterial barrier.
- Reduces pain while in situ and upon removal.
- Repositions without trauma.
- Minimises patient anxiety about painful dressing changes.
- Silicone adhesive does not stick to itself or gloves.
- Save up to an average 27% compared to other market leading brands.
- Helps to minimize the risk of pain and damage to the wound at dressing changes.
- Helps protect surrounding skin.
- Easy application.
- Can be used under compression.
- Comfortable with a wide range of shapes and sizes.
- Absorbs and manages exudate.
- Supports moist wound healing.
- Reduces risk of maceration.
- Provides up to 7 days wear time.
- Designed for a wide range of exuding chronic and acute wounds as well as secondary healing wounds.
- The soft, conformable dressing maintains a moist wound environment, and effectively absorbs and retains exudate, which gives the wound an optimal environment to healing.
- Boasts a wide range of sizes making it the solution for small to large wounds even those located on challenging. areas of the body.
- Maintains an optimal microclimate to promote wound healing.
- Can be repositioned after skin assessment.