An antimicrobial dressing utilizing advanced silver technology to help create an optimal wound environment.
Features:- Rayon/polyester inner core helps manage moisture level. - Silver-coated high-density polyethylene mesh facilitates the passage of silver through the dressing. - The nanocrystalline coating of pure silver delivers antimicrobial barrier activity within 30 minutes - faster than other forms of silver. - ACTICOATs antimicrobial technology is able to produce silver-coated polyethylene films that can release an effective concentration of silver over several days. Thus, as silver ions are consumed, additional silver is released from the dressing to provide an effective antimicrobial barrier. This patented silver-based antimicrobial technology can be applied to a wide range of medical devices including wound dressings.
Benefits:- Delivers fast-acting, long-lasting antimicrobial barrier control.
- Effective barrier which may assist in preventing contamination of the wound.
- Laboratory studies show that ACTICOAT dressing kills micro-organisms faster than conventional products such as silver sulfadiazine (1 percent cream) or silver nitrate (0.5%) solution. It has also been shown in-vitro to provide protection against more than 150 pathogens. The pathogens tested in the lab include resistant strains of bacteria such as antibiotic-resistant strains of Pseudomonas, methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus and fungi. These pathogens have been known to infect many patients with already weakened immune systems. Infections contracted during hospitalization caused by these so-called superbugs and other organisms cost North American taxpayers an estimated $18 billion a year in additional hospital care.
- ACTICOAT is versatile. The dressings can be cut to the desired shape and size to wrap around all body parts.
- The sustained release of silver also means fewer dressing changes, resulting in less exposure of the wound bed to the environment. This reduces the risk of infection, which lowers costs to hospitals.
- ACTICOAT is cost-effective because it can be left on wounds for up to 3 days.
ACTICOAT Dressings are an effective barrier to bacterial penetration. The barrier function of the dressing may help reduce infection in partial and full-thickness wounds including pressure ulcers, venous ulcers, diabetic ulcers, surgical wounds, first and second degree burns and graft and dermal substitutes recipient sites. ACTICOAT dressings may be used over debrided and grafted partial thickness wounds.
Contraindications / Precautions:- For external use only.
- Should not be used on patients with a known sensitivity to silver.
- May cause transient discoloration.
- Not compatible with oil-based products, such as petrolatum.
- Not compatible with MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) procedures.
- Should not come in contact with electrodes or conductive gels during electronic measurements.
- If reddening or sensitization occurs, dicontinue use.